The world of commercial aviation is still a complex and mysterious place. There are many odd things about flying that most passengers do not know. Here are some things you might want to know.
1. Airplanes are lighting-proof – it's totally understandable that there are some who could not help but secretly freak out over the fact that the plane that they're on may crash at any given time because of circumstances. For instance, getting hit by lightning – the truth is, airplanes get hit by lighting on a regular basis and no plane has ever crashed because of a lighting since 1963. Airplanes of today's time are well-engineered and are designed to become lightning-proof .
2. One of the most deadly airplane accidents. In 1977, two fully loaded planes carrying a total of over 600 passengers collided head-on in the middle of the runway in what is now known as the Tenerife Accident, named after Tenerife Island where the accident occurred. Over 500 people died.
3. The bathroom door is not really locked when you're inside. Lavatory doors can be locked and unlocked from the outside for a multitude of reason. Quick access to locked lavatories in case of emergencies. In other instances, it allows to use the cabin.
4. Some airplanes have access to. There are flights that would take around 15-16 hours and for the crews to avoid getting over-fatigued, they can get a little rest in the secret bedroom. The bedroom contains about 5-10 beds that they can access from a hidden staircase.
5. Most pilots and copilots on the mainland are not allowed to eat the same food.
6. Passengers usually have no appetite for airplane food. It turns out that it's not actually the airline's fault. The reason why the airplane food tastes.
7. About 1 in 5 people have some of fear flying, or “aviophobia.”
8. The risk of being killed in a plane crash for the average American is 1 in 11 million. The risk of being killed in a car accident is 1 in 5,000.
9. Research shows that the first 3 minutes after takeoff and the final 8 minutes before landing are when 80% of plane crashes happen.
10. A woman and her daughter were arrested when they were tried to smuggle the woman's dead husband in a wheelchair onto a plane. They were covered with sunglasses and told.